Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Poem from Fifth Grade

It is not often I come across work done in my childhood.  However, I encountered this poem I wrote in 5th grade recently.  I had not seen or remembered this poem for over 45 years. 

I am struck by my then wisdom and maturity, and by the fact that I can now remember writing it, after all these years, and the recent and vigorous jolt to my memory.  I remember how confident I felt at that stage of my life and how wonderful that was. And how that feeling vanished later.  But maybe it could return now, in a modified version?  Time will tell.

I guess it is no wonder I like working with students in my present life.  I have always felt they are capable of expressing themselves, whether with visual art or with words, in ways that are light-years ahead of their numerical age, and perhaps of the adults that surround them.





Myself 

I have to live with myself and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know,
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye.
I don't want to stand with the setting sun,
And hate myself for the things I've done.

I never can hide myself from me,
I see what others may never see,
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself and so,
Whatever happens I want to be,
Self-respecting and conscience free.

Tria (Triada) Samaras
c. 1968/2016